On Call (Auburn). The nurse participates in a multi-disciplinary team and will have primary responsibility for assessment and delivery of quality nursing care, in residential and/or outpatient setting. Evaluate clients’ health care needs, monitor and/or administer medications, coordinate and track medical issues for clients, refer/accompany clients to appropriate medical resources within and outside the agency. May provide active outreach to client’s place of resident. The position reports primarily to the Nursing Coordinator and may have additional reporting to clinical program manager of the program nurse is serving.
- Observe, assess, record and communicate clients’ behavior.
- Perform and document physical assessments as needed, per nursing protocols.
- Perform and document physical assessments as directed during emergency situations.
- Development of consumer assessment and treatment plans as related to medical needs or as indicated.
- Monitor and/or administer all prescribed medical treatment, including medications.
- Promptly identify medication side effects and initiate appropriate corrective actions.
- Provide training for clients and staff regarding the use and effects of psychotropic medications.
- Participate in collection, processing and documentation of laboratory specimens as needed.
- Communicate with pharmacies to obtain prescribed medications.
- Maintain clean and well-stocked nursing area.
- Schedule and participate in ongoing consumer medication reviews.
- Prepare and incorporate necessary reports, summaries and progress notes into client charts as part of clinical record.
- Participate in ongoing program development and assessment as needed for program stability, including weekly meetings.
- Perform liaison duties with other agencies and secures resources on behalf of clients.
- Participate in staff meetings, consultations, case presentations and in-service training.
- Make necessary arrangements with counselors/case managers for hospitalization of clients when indicated.
- Advocate for culturally relevant services from other service providers.
- Advocate for clients with community agencies and professionals, including health care providers and the criminal justice system.
- Develop knowledge base in physical disability, chronic illness and rehabilitation.
- Represent nursing services on Quality Assurance and related committees as requested.
- Provide training to newly hired nurses.
- In certain clinical programs, nurse may be required to transport clients or deliver medications using own vehicle or agency vehicle.
- Maintain working relationships with community and government agencies, other professionals and family members/significant others of clients.
- Complete all documentation as required.
- Maintain ethical and competent client and peer relationships in the delivery of services.
- Comply with all applicable federal, state and county laws and regulations and SMH policies and procedures.
- Perform all job duties in accordance with OSHA and agency-designated safety regulations.
- Understand recovery concepts in behavioral health
- Apply recovery concepts, as appropriate to my work at SMH
- Synthesize and demonstrate recovery concepts in my work at SMH.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of nurse practice laws.
- Ability to make independent medical decisions; to initiate emergency medical treatment; to communicate clearly and concisely (orally and in writing) issues related to the department, and to organize one’s supervisory and consultant support when needed.
- Capacity to appreciate and work well with severely disturbed individuals from a wide range of ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds; good diagnostic skills and capacity to work with students and volunteers.
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of psychotropic medications.
- Motivated to develop expertise in serving persons with mental illness.
- Previous experience working with mentally ill individuals preferred.
- A valid Washington State license as Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse,
- Valid WA state driver’s license, be insurable and have access to a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to obtain a WA State Agency Affiliated Counselor credential within the first 30 days of hire.
Send letter of interest, resume and salary history to: Sound, Attn: Alexis Owens, 6400 Southcenter Blvd, Tukwila, WA 98188, or fax to (206) 302-2210, or e-mail to